anyways, here's a brief update/latest incarnation of the happy list.
- one of my career goals as an aspiring journalist? write a story for The Boston Globe. what happened last tuesday? a feature i wrote ran in the Boston Globe's arts & entertainment section. as i knew i would be in austin covering SXSW for the Dig anyway, i pitched an article to the Globe's A&E editor and he took my story. result: a two page 1,000-odd word feature on notable sets by boston talent at SXSW. the response to the article was so encouraging and overwhelming and to everyone who commented, called, texted, emailed, or simply pressed the thumbs-up "like" button on facebook, thank you. i'm such a lucky person. i'm going to post a bunch of my favorite photos snapped by the insatiable jess hodge and mikey basu, who are two of the most talented and professional photographers i've ever had the pleasure of working with, but in the mean time here are two silly ones of me in austin -
there was a cupcake truck. the girl gave us free cupcakes because we ran across the street and grabbed a red bull for her when she was in need. red velvet elicits this reaction from me, always. (also: the chocolate cupcake to the left, covered in cream cheese frosting, was dubbed "the michael jackson." omg.)
this one was snapped by mikey in between shows. i was sitting down for maybe like 30 seconds throughout our entire time at SXSW and he caught me.
- last night, one of my favorite local bands (and three of my favorite people in general), static of the gods, had a FANTASTIC cd release show at tt's. it's really something special when you get to know a band, and you follow 'em for a bit, and you become friends, and you write about 'em a couple of times, and they put out a CD that's just absolutely amazing and that you can't wait to burn a copy of for everyone you've ever met. knowledge machine is such a great album. if you haven't picked it up yet, do so asap. jen, ben and mike, you guys were so amazing last night! and thanks for the falafel palace pit stop and the ride home :)
- i made quinoa for the first time last night. GREAT SUCCESS. i went grocery shopping at wilson's farm yesterday, as i've been doing for the past month or so, and to say i came home with a bounty of goodness would be fact. the quinoa, fresh spinach, fresh goat cheese, organic baby brussel sprouts, fresh blackberries, farm fresh milk, farm fresh eggs... foooooodgazm.
- los' birthday is next friday! there will be funfetti and togas and kickball and people eating funfetti while wearing togas and schooling each other in kickball. can't friggin' wait.
- i'm so excited about future pieces i'll be working on over the next three months. there are such exciting things in store. it's nice to have something to look forward to :)
soooo there you have it. gotta brew another cup of tea and make some delicious food and watch rpatz be all sparkly and whatnot.
ps: oh hey! i launched my website. sort of. it's in the "coming soon" stage right now. major thanks to the lovely jsutt and her design savvy :) - http://www.hilaryjanehughes.com/